Religious Architecture and Islamic Culture
Answer the questions on your own paper using complete sentences. Copy and paste images of Islamic architecture from each section into a Word document. Label each picture with its name, date erected, and the period in Muslim history from which it comes.
Start by going to The Birth of Islam.
1. What does the word "Islam" mean?
2. Why is Mecca the holy city of Islam?
3. What building in the city is considered sacred by the entire Muslim world?
Copy a photo into your Word document and label it.
View the other photos and copy them into your Word document.
4. What similarities do you see in the buildings from the earliest years of Islam?
Go to Muslim Monuments
Sketch three types of religious mosques in your notebook.
Paste three different mosques into your Word document and label them.
Go to The Classical Period. Copy two pictures of mosques from each section into your Word document and label them.
5. Go to A New Tradition and Old Forms. Describe the differences between the Sunni and Shiite?
6. What is the capital of Egypt?
7. Go to The Medieval Period. Click on The Great Seljuqs. What countries were part of the Seljuq Dynasty?
8. What is a madrassa?
Copy four pictures of mosques from this section into your Word document and label them.
9. What were the Ottomans from?
10. What dream did the Ottomans fullfill?
11. What countries were part of the Ottoman Empire?