Questions pages 481-485
Answer the questions using complete sentences on your own paper.
- What event began on April 12, 1861?
- What did President Lincoln ask the Union states to provide?
- Why was Virginia important to a Confederacy victory?
- What city became the capital of the Confederacy?
- Who became commanding general of the Confederate army?
- Why did Lee resign from the U.S. Army and join the Confederacy?
- Why would having Lee on their side help the Confederacy?
- Why was it important to the Union that Maryland not secede?
- How far was Richmond from Washington D.C.?
- Where was the first battle of the war fought?
- What was Maryland important to both sides?
- How many states joined the Confederacy and the Union?
- Describe all the reasons why the North had an advantage over the South?
- What was the North’s most important advantage?
- What advantages did the South have over the North?
- Looking at the chart, which side had more resources?
- How might the North’s railways and factories help its armies?
- What did the South want at the beginning of the war?
- What product was king in the South? Why was it important?
- What was the name of the plan used by the North at the beginning of the war? How did it get its name?
- What did the plan call for?
- Why did the Union want to control the Mississippi River?
- What side won the First Battle of Bull Run?
- What did the North realize after the battle?
- What action did Lincoln take?