Write your answers on your own paper.
Principles of the Constitution
Click on the links to find the definitions.
Define what the following terms:
1. – popular sovereignty
2. – republicanism
3. – federalism
4. – separation of powers
5. – checks and balances
Check and Balances
6. What is one check the Legislative Branch has over the Executive Branch?
7. What is a check the Judicial Branch has over the Legislative Branch?
8. What is a check the Executive Branch has over the Legislative Branch?
9. Copy the Federalism chart above.
10. Copy the Separation of Powers chart above.
11. What fraction of Congress must agree to propose (suggest) an amendment (a change to the Constitution)?
12. What fraction of the states must approve an amendment?
13. Why do you think it is so hard to amend the Constitution?