The Declaration of Independence
Vocabulary Assignment – Complete on your own paper
WE hold these Truths to be self-evident, that all Men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness -- That to secure these Rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just Powers from the Consent of the Governed, that whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these Ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government….
1. Look up the underlined
words and write a definition and synonyms.
Dictionary.com would be a good place to start.
2. Rewrite the paragraph, substituting new words for the underlined words. The paragraph must make sense. You may rearrange the words if you like.
Answer the following questions using complete sentences.
3. What is the purpose of the Declaration of Independence?
4. When was the Declaration of Independence signed?
5. Finish the sentence - "We hold these truths to be self-evident..."
6. What are the unalienable rights?
7. Why do you think the Declaration is important today?