New England Colonies
1. What do you know about the Pilgrims from reading the first two paragraphs?
2. Why does it make sense that the Pilgrims fled to Holland?
3. Why do you think the Pilgrims became dissatisfied with life in Holland?
4. Why does it make sense that the Mayflower Compact was important?
5. Why does it make sense that Squanto was so important to the Pilgrims?
6. What was the first Thanksgiving a celebration of?
7. How does this celebration relate to our lives today?
8. If Squanto and Samoset could have predicted the future, do you think they would have helped the Pilgrims? Why or why not?
Page 93 and 94
9. Read the First Thanksgiving. Write a visualization for this section and the paragraph above it. - What do you see, hear, smell, taste, feel?
10. What is a congregation and why was it important?
11. Why do you think everyone had to attend church?
12. Why does it make sense that the Puritan work ethic allowed for rapid growth of New England?
Page 96 and 97 - The Salem Witch Trials
13. Do a visualization - What do you see, hear, smell, taste, feel?