North and South Document-Based Activity
Study the documents below and answer the questions that follow using complete sentences on your own paper.
1. Which candidate won in the greatest number of states?
2. Which candidate won the fewest
3. How many states did Bell win?
4. Which candidate won most of the
Which state had the most electoral votes and to whom did it give its votes?
How much were total exports for the United States during the decade 1811
How much cotton did the United States export in the decade, 1811 to 1820?
How much were total exports for the United States during the decade 1851
How much cotton did the United States export in the decade, 1851 to 1860?
In which decade did cotton make up nearly half of total exports?
11. What are four major cities along the Erie Canal?
12. What waterway connected the Erie Canal to Albany?
13. At what city does the Erie Canal start near on Lake Erie?
14. Escaping slaves traveling north by means of the Atlantic Ocean headed toward which major port?
15. Which river would slaves have to cross to reach Indiana or Ohio?
16. Which Canadian cities were destinations of the Underground Railroad?
17. About how many miles would slaves have to travel from Evansville, Indiana, to Detroit, Michigan?
18. According to the chart above, what place provided the greatest number of immigrants in 1840?
19. What percentage of immigrants who arrived in 1850 were British?
20. What percentage of immigrants who arrived in 1850 were German?