Early Republic Cyberhunt
Directions - Answer the following questions in your notebook using complete sentences. Click on the blue links above the questions to find the answers.
1. What were Daniel Shays and the other veterans protesting against?
2. Describe the actions the veterans took.
3. What was the Whiskey Rebellion a fight over?
4. What did President Washington do to end the revolt?
5. This was the first time the federal government did something. What was it?
6. Why do you think President Washington had to act with such force?
Washington's Farewell Address (Scroll to the
bottom of the page)
7. What did Washington warn against in his Farewell Address?
8. What did Washington stress the importance of?
9. What did Washington warn about the military?
Land Ordinance of 1785
10. What lands were going to be disposed of in the Land Ordinance of 1785?
11. Who owned the land the United States was disposing of?
12. How big would the townships be?
Political Parties, Platforms, and Planks
13. Why did Washington fear political parties?
14. What were the first two political factions?
14. What positions did they take?
16. What two factions formed during Washington's first administration that became the first political parties?
The Alien and Sedition Acts of 1798
17. What was the intent of the Alien and Sedition Acts?
18. What did the Naturalization Act require?
19. What did the Alien Act allow the president to do?
20. What did the Alien Enemies Act allow?
21. What did the Sedition Act declare?
22. What ended up happening to the Alien and Sedition Acts and all the people convicted of crimes?
Jefferson's First Inaugural Address
23. Who did Jefferson feel like he needed to heal the breach (split) between?
24. What had Jefferson been criticized about?
Last of the Mohicans and Rip Van Winkle
25. Who wrote The Last of the Mohicans? and what is the story about?
26. Who wrote Rip Van Winkle and What is the story about?
26. Why did Marbury sue Madison?
27. What important power of the Supreme Court was established by Marbury v. Madison?
28. What is Judicial Review?
29. How does Judicial Review create balance between the three branches of government.